Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Midnight Inspiration

I've had several teachers tell me that the best ideas come in the middle of the night, and I should keep a notebook by my bed so I can write down all these things that end up forgotten by morning.

What they don't tell you is that in that semi-sleep state, the mind generally talks itself back into sleep before any action happens in the writing aspect. One time, I did half wake up thinking I should write down some random piece of thought, but I couldn't see what I was doing. I guess I was too asleep to think to turn on the light.

Last night, I woke myself up with profoundities and determined to record these gems of thought before they slipped away. I did manage to get the light and find a pen. Odd thing is, in the morning, none of it made any sense.

Maybe it works for some--I think I'll stick to writing when I'm awake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as i move into my new home in south florida i start to go through things packed away for many years, as i find a book titled "calling california home" given to me by the author, a very dear friend, once upon a time in a far away place, called california. hello heather,long time, its kurt. all is fine here, im very happy with life. i hope the same with you. just a short note to say you will allways be in my heart, as a dear friend, glad you are still writing. your passion. take care, kurt