Tuesday, February 27, 2007

There has to be something more

I know that God is omnipotent. Every time I heard the Jonah story in Sunday School, I heard the application that accompanied it: You can't hide from God. That's pretty amazing. My parents would tell me to think of the biggest thing I could possibly think of it, and my childish mind would stretch it's limits imagining huge oceans and cloud penetrating beanstalks, and they would say: God's even bigger than that. That's pretty amazing. The silly little song lyrics minimize it horribly: God can do anything but fail. But it's still pretty amazing. So now, thinking about it with an adult mind, is God really as big and powerful as we always said? If so (and of course I believe so), why aren't I tapping into that?

I was driving home the other day, my mind as it has been a lot lately, thinking about future plans, decisions, etc. And I asked myself the question: Do you really trust God? I was disturbed by the question. Of course I trust God. I was raised to trust God. I've trusted God a thousand times before. To be honest, trust has become so memorized, I don't know how to not trust God. But if I really had a concept of the enormity of God, would it be possible for me to worry? I'm missing something here.

I guess I've been distracted by trying to get God to fit the mold of my expectation. By wanting God to be present or absent at my convenience. By worshiping a God who is neatly packaged as the invisible motive for my good deeds.

But what if it's all true? What if God really is everything we always said and more. What if he is that big, that powerful, that amazing. What if it were more than just words and we actually believed it? Wouldn't that change something in the way we think, in the way we approach each day, maybe even in our churches?

I guess I'm tired of being satisfied with a God who is nothing more than the figurehead of my faith.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I very much agree. God is so much more, and truly beloved.
Hey, I was reminded of a passage tonight. I Jn. 4:7-21. Once upon a time, I was hit with the connection of verses 4 and 18. It's really good. Thought you'd appreciate it.

Noah said...

Amen to both Katy's comments, and the post. I've preached on that passage before, Katy. God is SO good, it's amazing that we don't love Him and His people more than we do. God's been teaching me about that a lot lately. Guess that's why I'm preaching on that at my church this Sunday night.

To add to the post, I'll share a verse that Aaron Mudge has made his life verse: "One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD And to meditate in His temple (Psalms 27:4)." THAT is Trust, especially when you put it within the context of the first verse.

Noah said...

Sorry to double post, but just finished going through the rest of my RSS feeds, and found this, which I think adds much to the idea behind your thoughts, Heather.

The Transcendence of God

Noah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.