Monday, September 18, 2006

Stagnancy

Ever sit through a convicting message and not been convicted? Ever pick up your Bible with confidence and think things are basically going okay so devotions shouldn't be too "painful" this morning? Ever sung about Christ's death and not been moved? Don't leave me out on a limb by myself. I think we've all been here at some point. Slowly our depravity fades away and we grow complacent in our supposed self-righteousness.

Two verses come to mind. Paraphrased: "let everyone who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall." and "search me O God and know my heart and see if there be any wicked way in me."

I was thinking about this all week. It's not a pleasant thing to have known sin in your life and go through the humbling process of giving it over to God, of confessing it before Him, and if necessary, before others, of letting go of the idols you cling to. Unpleasant as it is, nothing frightens me more than searching my heart and not knowing what sin to confess. I don't want to grow callous towards sin, and I certainly don't want to become stagnant in my Christian walk.

Praise Him! That He who began a good work will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Noah said...

AMEN It is too easy to be apathetic in this Christian life. Aaron Mudge, former roommate, found his life verse last year as he and I spoke on this issue and how God was dealing with it in both of our lives. "One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD And to meditate in His temple (Psalm 27:4; NASB)." A heart that is truly desirous of the absence of apathy can't help but desire to dwell in God's Presence forever.

Noah said...

Mr. Doug Richard's preaches on "Pilgrims and Strangers"